Building licenses, in which cases are they needed?

We turned to the architect Jorge Enrique Ochoa from the company Ingenious & Arquitectos Avocados (INGEARQ), an expert in construction licenses to resolve all concerns in this regard.

What is a building license?

It is a permit that is granted by a district or municipal entity for the development of a building or construction which has some determinants of uses.

Construction license modalities

New construction: it means that the lot is completely empty and a new building is going to be developed.

Extension: it is when the building will grow one story, sideways or backwards.

Adequacy: refers to the change of use, for example, if you use home and want to change its use to commercial or industrial, this type of construction license is required.

Restoration: it is when facades or structures that are catalogued as historical and cultural heritage are going to be cared for.

Structural reinforcement: it must be requested when a building is going to be structurally reinforced either because of its age or because it is not complying with the 2010 earthquake-resistant standard or because of an adaptation or change of use and this type of construction license is needed.

Total demolition: the building can be totally or partially demolished to continue its development.

Enclosure: it is used when some type of enclosure is to be made for construction or when a residential complex is going to be closed.

When is a building license not required?

In the following cases, you do not need a license. If you are going to make minor or locative repairs, such as change of floors, remodelling of bathrooms and kitchen, internal painting of the building and hydraulic, electrical or gas networks.

Requirements to process a construction license

– The main thing is to have the ideal professional with the knowledge of Curatorial procedures, the ideal is that you ask if the architect who is going to carry out the work has a professional card, this can be consulted in the National Professional Council of Architecture and its Auxiliary Professions (CPNAA).

– You must find out the regulations of the property or lot where the construction license is to be carried out, you can do this personally by contacting the Urban Curatorship or Planning to find out the regulations of the property, or the architect in charge of the work or the license construction can go to make these inquiries.

– An architectural survey of what you want to do must be carried out, this must be done by the architect you hired.

– A Geotechnical Engineer must carry out a soil study of the property where the work is to be carried out.]

– A Calculation Engineer must carry out the structural reinforcement or engineering of the property.

– All these studies must be filed with the Urban Curatorship, attaching the corresponding legal stationery for this entity to evaluate and study the project you want to carry out.

Final tip

The architect Jorge Enrique Ochoa of the INGEARQ company recommends requesting three different quotes from companies specialized in the construction license process, also compare prices of the services provided, this in order to make a good choice and not be scammed.